- District Home
- District Home
Welcome to the 2020-21 School Year!
September 3, 2020
Dear Lake George Parents,
Recently, I shared a meme on social media that embodies my feelings at the beginning of this unique school year:
After numerous interactions with LGCSD faculty/staff over the first two days back to school, I have a renewed sense of confidence in our ability to not only welcome our students back to the 20-21 school year, but to also see the silver lining and opportunities COVID-19 has presented to our LGCSD.
We have been working very hard on the logistics of opening the schools and laying the foundation for the flexibility that will be needed throughout the year. This year will be different from years past; the global pandemic has given us a different perspective and caused us to reflect and reshift our priorities. Please know that as district administrators, faculty, and staff, our priorities are to:
- Keep your children safe
- Lower their (and your) anxiety
- Make them feel secure, valued, and loved
- Teach them
In that order…
Whether your children are learning in-person or remotely, we are striving to give them consistency. This is where the home-school partnership will be extremely important. You can expect two-way communication from your children’s teachers, principal, and me, throughout the year. We will use the SchoolMessenger email, phone, and text messaging system frequently. Please click here for more information about SchoolMessenger and how to set your notification preferences. We will post information on the district website and on the COVID webpage, so please check those frequently. We will post non-COVID news on the district’s Facebook page. Now more than ever, we need to support our children, each other and our district through positive actions and messaging. I encourage you to “Like” the district’s Facebook page @LakeGeorgeCSD. Please note that while there are Facebook pages for each school, those pages were automatically generated by Facebook and are not used for updates. Twitter users can also follow @LakeGeorgeCSD.
I am proud of all that we have accomplished in just the past few months:
- Increased reflection, learning, and planning around safety and social emotional learning in all learning models
- Our instructional staff engaged in professional development to enhance our methods for connecting, teaching, and learning in all instructional models
- Our communications with families have become more consistent, streamlined and supportive
- Effective systems were created to ensure meals were provided to our students during the school closure
- We created systems and protocols to improve the safety and cleanliness of our facilities
- Our knowledge and capacity to deliver mental health support and assistance to our staff and families has increased
- Most importantly, we have re-committed to our C.R.E.A.T.E values and will prioritize the PEOPLE in our District to allow us to support each other and grow forward, together
Please join me in welcoming our new staff members:
- Mallorie Meyer, LGES Instrumental Music Teacher
- Melissa Stark - LGES Teaching Assistant
- Makayla Byrne, 8th grade Special Education Teacher
- Kaylee Seymour, 7th grade English Teacher
- Carrie Mercogliano, 7th grade Science Teacher (Substitute)
I am proud to announce that we are ready for your return – a feat that would not have been possible without the exceptional work of so many dedicated LGCSD Leaders, faculty and staff. Appreciation goes to the 42 members of The District’s Reopening Steering Committee. In addition, recognition and my heartfelt gratitude goes out to our building principals and the entire LGCSD Leadership Team, as well as the members on our shared decision making teams who have worked tirelessly to ensure a safe return. Furthermore, our unsung heroes in the instructional technology department, transportation department, food service department, buildings and grounds department, business office and our 12 month clerical staff should take a bow for their herculean efforts to ensure a safe and seamless start to the 20-21 school year for students and staff.
As you prepare your children for the start of the new school year, please remember that everyone is returning with different experiences and feelings. Patience, flexibility and kindness need to serve as our compass if we are to support and care for the PEOPLE in our great district. Safely reopening schools will only be successful if we think of this as a community effort, united by the shared goal of wanting to educate, inspire, and watch our students grow in a safe and healthy learning environment.
Just a reminder, meals are available for children who are learning remotely (either hybrid or LG Virtual Model). Please contact Kemm Wilson to coordinate.
If you have additional questions, please email LGreopening@lkgeorge.org. This email address will be monitored throughout the school year. Questions and answers will be posted on the district’s COVID webpage.
In closing, I know I speak for every faculty and staff member at LGCSD when saying we are ready and excited to welcome your children to the 2020-2021 school year on September 8th and 9th. As we navigate through this upcoming school year, always remember that with patience, flexibility and kindness, we will get through this, together.