- District Home
- District Home
Vote on Capital Improvement Project Scheduled for December 4, 2018
The Lake George Central School District is proposing a $5.2 million capital improvement project that will have no additional tax burden.
The Capital Improvement Project will increase safety and security, replace aging infrastructure, improve compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and enhance learning environments in both schools. Items in the capital project were identified in the district’s Building Condition Survey, which was completed in June 2016.
The district utilized a collaborative process to gain input from residents, faculty, and staff. Responses helped the Leadership Team and Buildings and Grounds Committee prioritize needs and formulate a proposal for the Board of Education to review and approve. The district worked closely with TetraTech Architects and Engineers and district fiscal advisors to maximize building aid and the capital exclusion in the Tax Cap law.
Funding for the capital project will come from a Capital Reserve Fund that was established in 2016 and financing to replace retiring debt. Approximately 10% of the cost of the capital project will be returned to the district in the form of revenue from NYS Building Aid.
“Undertaking capital projects on a regular basis helps the district maintain a stable tax levy for residents while keeping our buildings and grounds in optimal condition,” said Lake George Business Manager Kate DuBois.
The most recent capital project was approved by LGCSD voters in February 2015. That $2.8 million project included items such as roof replacement, a secure vestibule at the Elementary School, and new doors/hardware at the Jr.-Sr. High School.
Please click here for the work that is included in the Capital Project. Residents will vote on the $5.2 million project on Tuesday, December 4, 2018.
The Board of Education passed a resolution at the October 9, 2018 meeting to bring the Capital Project to residents for a public vote on December 4, 2018 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE BOARD OF EDUCATION OF THE LAKE GEORGE CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT that a special meeting of the qualified voters of the School District be and the same is hereby called to be held in the Lake George Elementary School, 69 Sun Valley Road, Lake George, New York on Tuesday, December 4, 2018 from 10:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. prevailing time for the purpose of voting on the following proposition:
Shall the Board of Education be authorized to (A) reconstruct various District buildings, construct and reconstruct site work and improvements, acquire original furnishings, equipment, machinery or apparatus required for the purpose for which such buildings are to be used and pay incidental costs related thereto at a maximum estimated cost of $5,272,191; (B) expend such sum for such purpose; (C) expend $1,655,000 from the Capital Reserve Fund; (D) levy the necessary tax therefor, to be levied and collected in annual installments in such years and in such amounts as may be determined by the Board of Education taking into account State aid and the amount expended from the Capital Reserve Fund; and (E) in anticipation of the collection of such tax, issue bonds and notes of the District at one time or from time to time in the principal amount not to exceed $ 3,617,191, and levy a tax to pay the interest on said obligations when due?
The vote upon such proposition shall be by machine or absentee ballot. The hours during which the polls shall be kept open shall be from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. prevailing time or for as long thereafter as necessary to enable qualified voters who are in the polling place at 7:00 p.m. to cast their ballots. Any person shall be entitled to vote who is: (a) a citizen of the United States, (b) eighteen years of age and (c) a resident within the District for a period of 30 days next preceding the December 4, 2018 vote.
Absentee ballots may be applied for at the office of the District Clerk.
- Absentee ballots will be available to those residents who will not be able to vote in person.
- Residents requesting an absentee ballot must be a qualified voter of the district and have an explicit reason such as illness, out of town due to business or vacation, or a college student away at school.
- Applications for absentee ballots can be obtained online or at the District Clerk's office located in the Superintendent's Office at the Lake George Jr.-Sr. High School until Monday, December 3, 2018 by the close of business at 4:00 p.m. if the ballot is to be issued to the voter in person. If the ballot is to be mailed, the application must be received by Monday, November 26, 2018. Please note that the voter must be present if picking up a ballot in person.
- The application must be returned to the District Clerk's office (not the Business Office)
- A signed request for a ballot may be made by mail, but it must be received by the District Clerk's office by Monday, November 26, 2018, if the ballot is to be mailed.
- All absentee ballots must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, December 4, 2018.
- A list of all persons to whom absentee ballots shall have been issued will be available in the main office of the School District and will be open for inspection by the public during regular office hours until the date of the vote.
- Any qualified voter may challenge the acceptance of the ballot of any person on such list, by making his challenge and reasons therefor known to the Inspector of Election before the close of the polls.
Please contact the District Clerk at (518)668-5456 ext. 1207 or email@example.com for further information or if you have any questions.
Funding for the potential project will come from a Capital Reserve Fund that was established in 2016 and financing to replace retiring debt. Approximately 10% of the cost of the capital project will be returned to the district in the form of revenue from NYS Building Aid.