Health and Wellness Topics
Grieving and Loss:
How Children Understand Death, and What You Should Say - American Academy of Pediatrics
How to Help a Grieving Child - The Dougy Center, The National Center for Grieving Children and Families
Helping a Child Cope with Grief and Loss - PDHealth.mil
Tips for Supporting the Grieving Teen - The Dougy Center
- Alcohol and Drug Use/Abuse
- "I think my child is using." Helpful swtep-by-step advice from the Partnership for a Drug-Free America.
- Alcohol and Drug Facts from The National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
- Partnership for a Drug-Free America
- National Families in Action (NFIA) National Families in Action was founded in Atlanta, Georgia in 1977. Its mission is to help families and communities prevent drug use among children by promoting policies based on science.
- Alateen -- Alateen is a group for teens who are affected by someone else’s alcohol or drug use. It holds meetings, like a club, where young people share tips on how to make their lives easier when a family member drinks too much or uses drugs. Toll free phone: 1-888-425-2666
- The National Association for Children of Alcoholics (NACoA)
- Online Depression Screening Test -- A brief screening tool overseen by Mental Health America, a community-based network dedicated to helping all Americans achieve wellness by living mentally healthier lives.
- Depression Central -- A compilation of information, articles, and web sites related to Mental Health.
- National Institute of Health Provides information, definitions, and signs/symptoms related to depression, including child and adolescent depression.
- Eating Disorders
- National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD) Phone: 1-847-831-3438 ANAD provides hotline counseling, a national network of free support groups, referrals to health care professionals, and education and prevention programs to promote self-acceptance and healthy lifestyles. All of our services are free of charge.
- National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) Phone: 1-800-931-2237 The National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) is the largest not-for-profit organization in the United States working to prevent eating disorders and provide treatment referrals to those suffering from anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder and those concerned with body image and weight issues.
- Empowered Kids This site contains helpful, fun-filled exercises and resources that will clarify some important information for young people who have questions about food, healthy eating and body image.
MVParents.com A website from The Search Institute that provides parenting ideas and resources. Information on Developmental Assets.
- Sexual Assault, Rape, Incest
If you or a friend is in immediate danger call 911.
If you or a friend is in crisis, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK.
- Preventing Suicide - Information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- If You Are Thinking About Suicide ... Read This First
- National Strategy for Suicide Prevention A Collaborative effort of several agencies providing information and resources related to suicide.
- Suicide Awareness voices of Education (SAVE) The mission of SAVE is to prevent suicide through public awareness and education, reduce stigma, and serve as a resource to those touched by suicide